Friday, November 5, 2010

it's 9:00 pm first 24hrs in the PICU

Today turned out to be an uneventful and at the same time long day.  Kasi has made fun of me and stuck her tongue out at me today.  Makes me feel good to know she is all there underneath all of that medication.  She is an outstanding little lady and just saying that is not enough so I will tell you a little about her day. 
I can't say she ever had a "morning" except for the fact of actual time.  At the beginning of her day she had doctors and nurses come in and out.  Dr. Stanley came in and his partner as well.  They are very please with her progress so far.  The nurses have been awesome to her and help her a ton.  She has started to get some fluid in her left lung because it was deflated so long in surgery.  What they are doing is pounding on her chest in the front and the back to loosen the fluid up so she can cough it out.  Now think about that for a moment.  She has just had major heart surgery in which she has a HUGE incision that runs from just under her arm in the back around to the front of her body and down her belly.  They pound on her back and front on the same side they did her surgery.  OUCH!  Kasi looks up at me with eyes that say "mom, please have them stop" and she tells them through her tears that it really really hurts.  The nurses make sure she knows how important this is for her and they continue, and Kasi's reply to them is, "okay".  She says it in one of the weakest voices that represents someone so strong.  She also has been hot and cold all day, but she doesn't have a fever which is good.  My friend Kristie is up here and was rubbing her feet while I was doing something with her hair.  Well, she waved me off and told Kristie she could continue and then gave me one of her ha ha ha smiles.  Not a full smile, because she can't with all of the fluids on her, but enough so I knew she was picking on me.  Note she is not really "awake" or "with it" when this happens because of meds.  But we get small glimpses of that feisty young woman inside of her.  Later on in the day Ben called on my cell phone.  He wanted to talk to Kasi, so I had to explain that she can't talk but she can hear him.  I put him on speaker phone and he said "hi and I love you" to her.  I pick up the phone and notice Ben hung up.  I told Kasi he called just to talk to you.  Kasi.....sticks out her tongue at me and goes to sleep. 
After a long day of sleeping and trying to heal Kasi had a bath.  This little one had to have been held in Jesus arms through the whole thing.  She was rolled and rolled with out complaint.  If you could see her, you would understand what a big deal that really is.  I am amazed along with all the staff here at her tolerance.  She shows grace to every nurse that walks in the door and my most favorite moment of the day was when I came back from my shower I said "hi, mom's back" and she grinned from ear to ear and her eyes had peace.  I can't explain that moment either, but it was a heart melter. 
She is pushing her pain button more now, but that is because she doesn't like being pounded on.  I wouldn't like it either, but there is no other option.  Please pray that the fluid goes away and SOON! 
God is working all around us here at the hospital.  I have to share what one of my friends sent me via facebook.  It is exactly where my heart is:

I didn't want to sound dorky, but I wanted to tell you that I just could imagine what that room looks like for REAL....by that I mean with all that we can NOT see.....it's a room PACKED FULL of God's glory!!!!! I'm imagining angels and beauty beyond our descriptions!!! I wish our eyes could see it just for a moment!!!!!!! Whether we see it our not, it is reality. Jodi, you and Kasi are surrounded by Him!!!!



Just lifting you before the Father so often Friend.........


Hugs!!!!

And from another friend to Kasi because of God things happening out side of these walls with kids:

Hey, Kasi. So thankful for the good news that step one--the surgery--is done. I know you have a long road to recovery but if love helps recovery, yours will be swift. My guys came home today with stories of how the teachers and students poured their hearts out in prayer for you today. Teachers all day long told students that if they wanted to pray and call the prayer pager, go ahead. Any time. They found out in 2 short months what I have known for years--you are amazing. Your name was also on the lips of the students I saw today in my class. What a wonder. Keep fighting, my friend. I'll be watching for more encouraging report.

And then one last one, that is God moving in adults:

Jodi, I was volunteering at our dance studio for a while yesterday and the subject of Kasi came up. The ladies in the waiting room were so moved by what was going on and were thrilled at the idea of the prayer pager - which alot of people are - well they wanted to call it and I told them that they had to pray first :) So there we were in the middle of the waiting room, holding hands in a circle praying out loud for all of you. As other moms came in, they just quietly joined us. It was amazing. Afterward, thru tears and hugs and gratefulness for this powerful moment that we shared, we all whipped out our cells and called the pager like we were giddy 5th graders and just got ahold of our moms phone. They have all me emailing and texting for updates. I just want to share a very small way that Kasi and our God is touching others thru this journey.

 
I share these because they are big encouragements to me about the working of God through this whole process.  I am touched by every one's posts, but today God meant for these to touch my heart.  I am in awe of this pager going off all of the time.  It sounds like I am getting attacked by bees.  Okay, you know I had to make you all laugh, that is me!  So thank you for all of your prayers!
 
Now on to what is yet to come.  We will be in the PICU for a few more days for sure.  Kasi is so strong because she is God strong.  I talked to her a little bit about the first of my friends posts above.  She smiled and wished she could see them all around her too.  She has a long road to go yet and everyone here seems to be happy with her progress.  We are just waiting for things to start coming out and off from her body.  Maybe tomorrow will be a better day for her to sit up more and for pain control.  We will start to see the nurse coming with the pounding paddles and push her pain button. This will help her out a lot.  We will continue this pray at her bedside and all around this hospital.  I will pray for her lungs, heart, chest, incision, tubes, drains, IV's, Art line, central line, NG tube, and even her compression socks.  She will be and always is completely covered with the mighty hand of Jesus.  Keep praying Him into this place!  We are seeing Him at work around us, not just in Kasi's case, but with others seeing Him through us. 
We love you all!  And it is time for a little sleep up here....
Jodi
If you want to send a card, note, or whatever here is the address for Kasi:
Kasaundra DeRoo
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
1500 E Medical Center Dr
MCHC F5124 Box 0286
Ann Arbor, Mi 48109-0286
 

No comments:

Post a Comment