Sunday, November 14, 2010

A long Sunday

Here it is our second Sunday at U of M.  It seems like last week was so far away and at the same time all the days blend together.  Today for Kasi and I started at midnight.  Kasi was given meds to help her tummy decide to work.  I must say, they kicked in a lot of stuff in her.  I am happy to report, she did pass that gas!  I have never seen such an excited face as the one I saw at 4:00 am.  Kasi was so happy, she just looked at me and said,"I farted".  We both wanted to do a happy dance.  I know it seems so hard to understand and you might even think it sounds funny, but it is so real.  It is a sign of her belly really working the correct way.  We were both so happy, but it was a long night of her tummy working over time.  When morning broke I even took a little nap in the room while my mom and dad took care of her here.  My dad was happy to even be able to snuggle her too.  Kasi was just as happy about that too. 
Kasi has said some amazing things to me today, and I have to say I am so blessed to have her.  The things every mom wants and even longs to hear, my sweet baby girl has said to me.  She thanks me for taking such good care of her, and for loving her so much.  I am the one who is blessed that is for sure.  Now once again the nurses on this floor are the ones saying how much they love Kasi and they are starting to "fight" over taking care of her.  Let me tell you she is not easy to take care of either, but her personality and grace makes them want to.  It is a desire not a "have to". 
Today, during the day hours, were full of family and friends.  It was great to see Ben and Aubree up here although very hard to see them go and  sink myself back into reality of being here.  I know it has not been a super long time, I have been down that road, but home still seems so far off.  Kasi is ready too, she just wants to smell home.  Which she did today when Aubree took something from home to her.  She is loving it. 
Medically Kasi has had a good day.  They took her PCA away, that is her pain pump, and they are giving her morphine every 4 hours as needed.  This was Kasi's choice actually.  She has had two doses of it today and her pain is extreme when she has it.  She also was able to take sips of water today.  That started with a cup of water with ice in it and then the nurse came in for her to take her aspirin by mouth with about two swallows in a cup.  She was so excited to actually swallow something.  They took her NG off suction and put it to drain in a bag.  This was going great for most of the day until this evening when Kasi got really sick.  She threw up a ton of the fluid that usually drains from her tube and a ton of it went into the bag.  So, after that we figured out that her tummy still is not ready for anything.  Tomorrow is another day, and we will try with ice chips tomorrow for a while and see what happens from there.  I am asking for prayers for Kasi to be able to get water.  She had those few ounces today and she loved it!  She was so excited, but at the end of the day when her tummy rejected it, she felt defeated.  And that is when her pain hit her too.  She is caring a lot of water on her back and her chest and belly are starting to hurt with out the continuous morphine.  Kasi is a very strong young girl and she handles all of this with a strength that I can't explain.  That is what people see.  In fact people come into our room and they can't believe that she is 14, they see her and think she is 18.  She is wearing herself with maturity.  God is giving her peace and she needs peace, especially at times when she doesn't understand. 
I should also tell you that her while blood count was up again today so we are starting all over again with cultures, urine tests, and she had a chest X-ray.  The problem is, doctors order it, but they don't tell us anything on a Sunday.  It will be interesting in the morning when we talk to them again. 
Here is my request, we knew this was going to be a long road, and that is the road we are on.  We are trying to be patient, but at the same time we just want to go home.  So, my prayer is this, pray that Kasi's body heals with a speedy recovery.  Help us to be "smart" not to rush things, but to rely on the doctors and nurses in taking care of her.  Help them to be the ones to see her healing quickly! 
We are blessed beyond the curse and His promise will endure!!!  We will rest in the fact that not only will God do something, He already is.....

7 comments:

  1. As the deer panteth for the water, so my soul longeth after thee... This verse has never seemed more real than now! I will pray like crazy that you get to have more water tomorrow and that it stays down!!!!!! I can't imagine how great that must have tasted! Keep trying girl! You can do it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will be praying for your requested prayer a speedy recovery. I love to read the blog because then I can pray for exactly what you want and need prayers for. I feel so connected to your family and I don't even know you, but my prayers will continue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for that speedy recovery!
    Love,
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love reading the updates, so we can lift you up to where you need to be. Prayers then for water and for it to stay down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still praying for you. Will pray Kasi will be able to keep her ice chips down tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So proud of how strong you are, God is using you in ways you can't even begin to imagine! We'll keep praying for your tummy to straighten out, and that you will finally be able to eat something. Also for your strength to endure!
    "Do not be discouraged, do not be terrified, for I the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go" Josh 1:9 Our prayers are always with you!
    Have a good day today1
    Love from the Vander Laan's

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter brought home a slip of paper a month ago about the fundraiser and this is where my journey with you began... My name is Melissa, I have three children and a husband who on Sept 24 had open heart surgery... God is so good and such an amazing Doctor and healer.You are such a strong woman, even though there are days where I am sure you do not feel that way. God places people strong enough to endure lifes challenges and this is why you are here today. Your Daughter is strong, she has been healed. My prayer is for you and your family to stay strong through this. Satan is there and he wants your faith to weaken... as you have said before you are God Strong and Satan does not like that. Even though it was hard to see my husband going through a similar surgery as Kasi, I, we are stronger and we know that God is bigger than anything we face. I rejoice in knowing that you have God's promise to hold on to. You are God Strong... remember. We as Christians stand on solid rock, this is where we need to stay. God has never forsaken us. Please keep you faith, and kiss Kasi's head for me. My heart breaks for you, I cant even imagine.... Love from Allendale

    ReplyDelete